Sunday, March 18, 2012

It was my toughest hundred, I am relieved: Sachin Tendulkar Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/it-is-my-toughest-international-ton-sachin-tendulkar/1/178228.html

 Sachin Tendulkar


l
It took Sachin Tendulkar over a year and 30-odd innings to become the first batsman in the cricket history to score a century of international centuries. Facing all round pressure from his critics and fans alike, the Master Blaster is a relieved man now after his most awaited century came in Bangladesh on Friday.

A day after his 100th international ton, Tendulkar spoke to Headlines Today. He had no hesitation in admitting that despite his century came against hosts Bangladesh, considered comparatively a weak team, it was the toughest of his 100 tons. He also slammed his critics who had only negative opinions.

EXCERPTS:
Q. You must have had a good night's sleep after many months. You mentioned how it was your toughest ton?
I have to admit I am relieved now. When I got my 99th hundred against South Africa in World Cup, no one spoke about my 100th hundred. The focus was on the World Cup. As soon as the World Cup was over, the focus shifted to my 100th hundred.
I went to England. Everyone said I want to get my 100th hundred at Lord's. I wish I could do that at will. Scoring hundreds is not easy. It doesn't come as and when you want. You have to go out there. All the things should click. It is a process. I have experienced that even after scoring 99 hundreds.
The 100th hundred was not that easy. Possibly, the toughest one.

Q. What does this mean for you personally? You don't play for records but 100 tons must be surely special.
It is special. I did not start playing cricket to break records. I started playing because I love playing... dream was to play for India. While living that dream, many records have been broken. It is not about breaking records. It is about enjoyment factor and the way I want to play cricket for India. That is the most important.

Q. You lived your greatest dream last April. But then luck seemed to have deserted you. Oval, Mumbai, Sydney, you were batting well, came so close, yet remained so far from the milestone.
I was batting well. Last year, there have been patches where I have really-really batted well. Possibly, one of the best in my life. But there were patches where I ran out of luck. It is just those moments where you need breakthroughs. I was unfortunate on those occasions. Luck was not on my side, I felt. Sometimes you don't bat well, but you still end up scoring runs. That is something which happens to all the players. It just teaches you more in life. It just teaches you to be humble.

Q. While you have been consistently performing, the dry spell of tons had given critics firepower to say plenty.
Well, there are certain critics who I respect. Certain I don't. Certain ones only have negative opinions. They are standing in the queue first to make a negative statement. But I don't receive their messages when I am congratulated or applauded. So, it doesn't matter. People you care about are the ones I respect. There are certain guys I don't respect.

Q. You take greatest pride in team triumphs. Disappointed your century did not convert into a win for India?
Yes, I am disappointed. We scored 290 runs. At the same time they batted well, handled the pressure very well. Not always you are going to win. There are times when, just to give you an example, Australia scored 434 and still lost. The opposition also turns up at the venue to win. Credit to Bangladesh.
There are ups and downs in the tournament. The tournament is not over yet.

Q. Next do or die game against Pakistan. Special emotions?
It is a big game. India-Pakistan is always a big game. People look forward to that. So do the players. It will be an important game for us, more than Pakistan. Hope we do well.

Q. Cricketers tend to be superstitious. This new hairstyle is bringing you good luck?
(Laughs) No, not really. I think it is my batting. I have not changed my hairstyle for a long time. Managed to score 99 hundreds. So I don't think hairstyle would do all those things. But it is good to have some change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment